What role will drones play in the Nordic countries? What set of local challenges lays ahead? The work within the Nordic Drone Initiative (NDI) continues.
Kista Science City and Urban ICT Arena announced our partnership with other Nordic clusters back in September. The work within NDI has continued, and the group are now ready to announce five overarching objectives:
- To identify and evaluate how drones can be used in the transport sector to provide the greatest benefit to society, business and the environment.
- Map the Nordic ecosystem for drones and the opportunities that this technology provides.
- Contribute to the development of drone technology for Nordic weather conditions.
- Propose the development of rule changes that enable drone transports and large-scale operations with vertical take-off and landing.
- Create a platform for continued research and innovation and developed international cooperation.
– We have very similar conditions in the Nordic region in terms of weather but also within infrastructure, market and regulations. Together we can be in the front of the development and make it possible for companies to develop sustainable transport solutions with drones, says Tor Skoglund from RISE Research Institutes of Sweden.
The goal for NDI is to drive the development of sustainable drone-based transport services in the Nordic region. The Nordic countries have the ambition to be a leader in the development of sustainable business models in the digital age. Forecasts for drones with passengers and parcel deliveries indicate that that market is heading for a dramatic increase in the next ten years.